Education. For Life.
WHO WE ARE: VISION & MISSION
Uno a Uno is a not-for-profit foundation in the town centre of Cotacachi, Ecuador, and is a project of Rose Charities Canada.
Vision: Our vision is a world where all people have sufficient access to education and community support to be able to pursue their hopes and dreams.
Mission: By providing educational initiatives and promoting community, we empower people to realize their potential and transform their lives.
Motivation & Values
We believe in equal opportunity for the fundamental human right of self-determination. We serve all people regardless of race, faith, ethnicity, gender, financial status, and sexual orientation. We apply affirmative action to support those people who have been discriminated against or received unequal opportunities in the past.
Equality: equal opportunity for everyone
Integrity: acting honestly and sincerely in all that we do
Community: building a safe, supportive environment for people to learn and grow personally
Innovation: creative and interdisciplinary teaching techniques and educational initiatives tailored to the community’s needs
Empowerment: providing tools and support to facilitate positive transformation
Programs & Services
Uno a Uno is focused on transforming lives and communities in Ecuador through:
- Practical English classes of all levels, to all ages of students, at no cost to them, to enable them to attain better income earning opportunities now or in the future;
- Partnerships with the local educational system by offering tutoring services to school-aged children in all subjects, at no cost to the students;
- Providing business education and financial planning workshops to local business owners to help them grow their businesses and better manage their personal finances, at no cost to the students;
- Delivering affordable Spanish classes to local expats and volunteers to help them better integrate into the community;
- Using innovative and interdisciplinary teaching methods and an individualized and small group teaching approach, tailored to the needs of each student; and
- Creating unique opportunities for expats and volunteers from abroad to engage with the community, have cross-cultural exchange and develop meaningful relationships.
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
Volunteer Teachers and Teaching Assistants
- Possible volunteer assignments could be Monday/Wednesday in the morning for 1.5 to 3 hours, or Tues/Thur for 1.5 to 3 hours. Evening placements for our adult classes from 7-8:30pm are also available. We request that volunteers sign up for 1 or more school terms of the year, according to our class schedules. Orientation and teacher training will be provided before volunteers begin their teaching terms
- We need help fundraising: organizing events and also making grant applications
Volunteer From Abroad
- If you are wanting to volunteer from abroad, we are looking for volunteers over the age of 19 to volunteer during our school terms (i.e. September to January; February to June; July to August). We can assist with organizing homestays and Spanish lessons for volunteers hoping to have an intercultural experience while volunteering with Uno a Uno!
Aida Margarita Lechon
Pierre Etienne Banville and Candace Cho Banville
Because our founders have covered all the ‘overhead’ costs, 100% of your donation will go directly to Cotacachi, Ecuador to make an impact.
How Your Donation Makes A Difference
- $300 can provide English classes to a child for a year
- $125 can pay for half a month’s rent at the training facility
- $50 can provide financial management training to an adult like Ximena for a month
How to Donate
- Donations can be made by clicking the button below or going here
- When you arrive at the donation page please select the radio button next to “Uno a Uno”
- Rose Charities Canada will issue Canadian tax receipts for all donations above $20.